Email Span Suggestions

More
26 Jan 2018 21:41 #1 by Peter Budraitis
Email Span Suggestions was created by Peter Budraitis
I have begun to receive a lot of submissions on a contact for (V3.8). That are fake submissions. Most have a .ru extension on the emails. I have tried both forms of re-captcha on the contact form. The alphanumeric and the math equation one, but I am still getting the same number of false emails. They were intermittant at first, bu I'm now getting about 6 or 7 a day.

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2018 06:20 #2 by David Borovicka
Replied by David Borovicka on topic Email Span Suggestions
Hello, same problem here. Captcha on my Fox contact form seems to be active and OK but I am getting lot of spam emails, mostly from .ru domains. Have no idea what to do to stop this. Please help (I can send you some samples of the spam emails if necessary). I would like to keep using the Fox contact forms on my website, Ive bought the licence, but it is currently unusable for me :(

More
01 Feb 2018 21:32 - 01 Feb 2018 21:33 #3 by Peter Budraitis
Replied by Peter Budraitis on topic Email Span Suggestions
I have been using Fox Contact for many, many years. The ability to create quality, flexible forms has been the cornerstone of our data collection objectives on our sites. We are concerned we may need to try a solution from another developer to alleviate this problem. At the moment this is only happening on a regular basis on a single form on two of our sites. In addition to modifying the captcha settings, we have also changed the page names.

Here is a sample of the submissions we are getting from one of our forms:

[Your name:] Mihailwrils
[Your email:] mihailmillionss@mail.ru
[Phone number:] 82556163666
[How did you hear about us?] Saw a display at local business
[What type of services are you interested in?] Glamour / Boudoir
[If inquiring about event coverage, please tell us more about the event. Be sure to include date, location and type of event.] random text or foreign letters would appear in the description.

I attempted to show the actual text in the description field that was submitted, but even this forum flagged it as spam and request it be modified.

More
02 Feb 2018 06:10 #4 by David Borovicka
We are paying customers, so I would like to get some support from Fox-Labs. This is one week old thread and still no response - I am wondering why (?) I love Fox Contact forms, I have been using it for 5 years, but this is serious problem and somebody from the company should help us.

More
02 Feb 2018 18:36 #5 by Peter Budraitis
Sadly, there has been no response from anyone at Fox Contact so I've been left to continue to find a solution or try switching to another form extension. That would be a shame, I really like Fox Contact. At least until now.

I seemed to have come up with what is likely only a temporary fix. However, so far it's been working. I'll have to see if it lasts. I'm not sure how the bots keep finding my contact page and this form in particular, even after I changed the name. It appears they may be looking for pages with the word "contact" associated with a form. My other site has a previous version of Fox Contact and I've been only getting spam on the "contact" form. I have numerous different forms on that site but don't get spam on the other.

What has seemed to stop the incessant form submissions, at least for me, was to change the name of the page (again) to something that doesn't contain the word "Contact". I used "Request Info". I changed the menu selection and made sure the alias was changed. Within the form, I also removed the word "contact" and replaced with "Request Info / Get in touch with us"

I don't know how or which of these changes had an effect, but right now the span has suddenly stopped after implementing them.

More
03 Feb 2018 09:41 #6 by David Borovicka
This sounds like a solution, Peter. I will try to rename the page and I will avoid the "contact" word in the title, you are right, this should work. Thank you very much for the advice.

More
03 Feb 2018 15:51 #7 by Peter Budraitis
Fox support obviously is non - existent and we are left to solve these issues ourselves. Even a comment they are looking into it would have been nice.

The correction I mentioned has been working for me since I implemented it. Curious to see if it lasts.

David, keep me posted how you make out and how long the solution works for you. Good luck.

Contact forms are a vital component of any website. At this point it may be well worth looking into a developer that is more responsive.

What a shame!

More
04 Feb 2018 09:11 #8 by David Borovicka
Peter, it looks good, it´s something about 24h after the page title modification and no ".ru" emails received (thank you again for this simple but effective solution). You were right, those robots ale looking for the "contact" word (I tried also to change the page title from "contact" to "contact details" and it didn't help). Let's hope that this contact form modification will work as long as possible :) I will keep you posted.

More
04 Feb 2018 13:59 #9 by Demis [Fox-Labs]
Replied by Demis [Fox-Labs] on topic Email Span Suggestions
Hi both,
due to temporary personal problems this forum has been neglected for a while. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.
It's just worth to mention that paying customers have a preferential support channel through our ticketing system, either using the "Contact us" form or by email replying to the purchase email.

That being said, the spam problem.
Fox Contact has historically largely been known its spam blocking features enabled by default.
We are aware of a fresh outbreak of spammers, and we are already working on a new generation anti spam system.
In the meantime, you can block your spammers simply by adding some words taken from your incoming spam, to the existing spam words filter.
Copy them by the incoming message, and paste them in Form Options > Security > Spam words.
Remember to separate each word with a comma.
If you don't expect enquiries in Russian language, just put one or two common Cyrillic letters to your anti-spam filter.
Just one or two common used letters are enough.
Please confirm whether it works for you.

More
04 Feb 2018 14:02 #10 by Demis [Fox-Labs]
Replied by Demis [Fox-Labs] on topic Email Span Suggestions
This topic has been moved under "Feature requests", as it concerns a feature which is work in progress.
You are still able to continue the discussion, just search it under the appropriate category.