× Support requests and general discussions

Lots of spam from contact form with captcha enabled

More
14 Jul 2018 10:37 #1 by Reidar Solberg
Hi,
In the last 3-4 weeks I and lots of my clients have got thousands of spam from fox contact form even with captcha enabled. I had to uninstall the component to stop it. This is frustrating. Filling in words in your "spam filter" does not stop this spam. Seems like the spammers have cracked your captcha algorithm as the robots passes by this.

I had to provide an URL to send this post, but the component is uninstalled as I mentioned.

Do you have any solution or do we have to look for another komponent? I run the latest version before uninstalling it.

Best regards
Reidar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2018 05:02 #2 by Peter Grimes
Replied by Peter Grimes on topic Lots of spam from contact form with captcha enabled
I was hoping to read a response/solution to this question as I'm getting many complaints from my client sites getting loads of spam via captcha-enabled contact forms.

If there is no solution I guess I will need to find a new contact form solution and hope that it will be better.

Has anyone had success in enabling the Google captcha within Fox Contact?

More
30 Jul 2018 07:06 #3 by Reidar Solberg
Replied by Reidar Solberg on topic Lots of spam from contact form with captcha enabled
It's sad that the provider does not have a solution to this problem. I have used the form on several sites for many years, but have been forced to uninstall the form on most sites - and ste spam hast stopped.

Are now looking for another solution with the same functionality as Fox Contact form.

Sorry guys to "leave" you, but you should be taken this problem more seriously.

Reidar

More
30 Jul 2018 08:03 #4 by Peter Grimes
Replied by Peter Grimes on topic Lots of spam from contact form with captcha enabled
Hi Reidar,

I hope the following helps.

I have just enabled Google ReCaptcha.

Go to https://www.google.com/recaptcha and log in using your regular google login.
For each website register a reCAPTCHA v2 site.
Copy and paste the unique Site Key and Secret Key and in Joomla go to:
Extensions/Plugins, Captcha - ReCaptcha
and enter the Site Key and Secret Key.

In Fox Contact go to your contact form and replace the standard "enter the security code" with Google ReCaptcha.

Drag and drop to where it suits (I put it before the send button).

Like you I will hope this works and keeps the spammers away!

More
30 Jul 2018 08:06 #5 by Reidar Solberg
Replied by Reidar Solberg on topic Lots of spam from contact form with captcha enabled
Thank you Peter - I will give it a try :-)

More
30 Jul 2018 08:42 #6 by webfeuerflo
Replied by webfeuerflo on topic Lots of spam from contact form with captcha enabled
I have the same problem and also that the captcha is not working in Internet Explorer (says it's wrong although it is correct). Would love to use recaptcha, but my client uses an old joomla 2.5.28 and I am forced to use an older version of fox contact that is compatible. I don't see any option for recaptcha there :-(

and the support in my other topic is not answering anymore

More
28 Feb 2019 10:58 - 28 Feb 2019 10:58 #7 by Demis [Fox-Labs]
Replied by Demis [Fox-Labs] on topic Lots of spam from contact form with captcha enabled
Fighting spam is on top of our priorities, and we have just renewed Fox Contact with a next-generation anti spam system.

If you can, I encourage you to update Fox Contact to the latest release (currently 3.9.5) and confirm if it stops your spammers or not.
Any feedback from you on this subject is really important for us.

Thanks.