× Support requests and general discussions

MySQL server has gone away

More
04 Jan 2014 23:02 #1 by Phil Light
Phil Light created the topic: MySQL server has gone away
Hi Demis. I upgraded from free to paid. Great product. The update seemed to go without a hitch, and the form works, but after clicking SEND, the following error is displayed to the visitor/sender. I'm no programmer, I'm a nurse running a small non-profit. Can you (or anyone) advise? Thanks. Error message follows:

Error loading module MySQL server has gone away SQL=SELECT m.id, m.title, m.module, m.position, m.content, m.showtitle, m.params, mm.menuid FROM traveler_modules AS m LEFT JOIN traveler_modules_menu AS mm ON mm.moduleid = m.id LEFT JOIN traveler_extensions AS e ON e.element = m.module AND e.client_id = m.client_id WHERE m.published = 1 AND e.enabled = 1 AND (m.publish_up = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR m.publish_up <= '2014-01-04 22:47:38') AND (m.publish_down = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR m.publish_down >= '2014-01-04 22:47:38') AND m.access IN (1,1) AND m.client_id = 0 AND (mm.menuid = 113 OR mm.menuid <= 0) ORDER BY m.position, m.ordering

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2014 02:15 #2 by Phil Light
Phil Light replied the topic: MySQL server has gone away
The actual error can be seen by using the contact form on our website - www.travelersconference.org

I am keeping my fingers crossed that someone can help me with this error. It looks very unprofessional to our visitors and can't be used as it is. We'll have to uninstall Fox Contact Form and look for a replacement solution if no rapid fix can be found.

More
07 Jan 2014 09:44 #3 by Demis [Fox-Labs]
Demis [Fox-Labs] replied the topic: MySQL server has gone away
Sorry for the delayed reply.
Unfortunately your website seems to be offline right now and I can't see the error.
However, based on your description, the connection with the database has been closed after sending the form.
This is really strange, and I think it may be related with your particular configuration or environment.
Fox Contact doesn't need the database except for storing the enquiries on Joomla Messenger.
Are you currently using the function to delivery enquiries to Joomla Messenger ?

More
07 Jan 2014 19:18 #4 by Phil Light
Phil Light replied the topic: MySQL server has gone away
Thanks, but no joy. We don't use Joomla Messenger, but I have tried disabling it altogether (how to do this is not particularly clear) and I have retested the form - still getting the error message displayed along with the confirmation message that the message has been successfully sent.

"Error loading module MySQL server has gone away SQL=SELECT m.id, m.title, m.module, m.position, m.content, m.showtitle, m.params, mm.menuid FROM traveler_modules AS m LEFT JOIN traveler_modules_menu AS mm ON mm.moduleid = m.id LEFT JOIN traveler_extensions AS e ON e.element = m.module AND e.client_id = m.client_id WHERE m.published = 1 AND e.enabled = 1 AND (m.publish_up = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR m.publish_up <= '2014-01-07 19:12:52') AND (m.publish_down = '0000-00-00 00:00:00' OR m.publish_down >= '2014-01-07 19:12:52') AND m.access IN (1,1) AND m.client_id = 0 AND (mm.menuid = 113 OR mm.menuid <= 0) ORDER BY m.position, m.ordering"

I will want to be able to copy email addresses of form submitters from the log file (which is also not clear how to do this) in order to add their addresses to our mailing list. www.travelersconference.com is perhaps a better URL for you -

More
09 Jan 2014 05:16 #5 by Graeme Moffat
Graeme Moffat replied the topic: MySQL server has gone away

I will want to be able to copy email addresses of form submitters from the log file

This is possible, but would be a bit messy, the log file is not really designed for that purpose - it would be much simpler to merely copy them from the emails you receive.

I notice you are using Joomla 1.7, which is now seriously out-of-date and has had a large number of security issues resolved. I would strongly recommend you upgrade to the latest 2.5.17. But backup your site first, of course.
You don't say which version of FC you upgraded from, but presumably it would be a 2.0.x - there are a number of significant code changes in the 2.5 version. While FoxContact 2.0 is compatible with Joomla 2.5, I'm not sure that you can expect 2.5 to work properly with Joomla 1.7. Fox could give a definite answer on that.

The error you are seeing is a Joomla system error "Error loading module" caused by a database error (the description 'MySQL server has gone away' might be misleading) when Joomla is attempting to build a list of all the published modules. This is not coming from FoxContact - there is a call to JCEmediabox after the "successful" page is shown, before the error occurs.
I noticed that there is no top menu on this page, is there anything else missing from the "successful" page?
(PS Your JCEmediabox is 1.1.2, the latest is 1.1.9, but I don't know anything about it to say whether you should upgrade that too, or not).

My suggestion:
1- Backup your site (Akeeba Backup is the defacto standard, if you don't already have it installed)
2- Upgrade Joomla to 2.5.17
3- Upgrade JCEmediabox
4- Re-install FoxContact 2.5.8 - this won't (shouldn't!) affect any of your settings